Wednesday, May 18, 2011

something in the name

I've been on an album buying kick lately. It started a couple weeks ago and now I can't stop. I spent 30 bucks at amoeba today, but I got some good stuff. I also put back some gems. Put back list: Hot buttered soul (had to walk on by), 2 Lou Rawls albums for a dollar each, a Wes Montgomery album for a dollar, 2 Rick James albums, A willy nelson album and 2 Charles Mingus albums. Nothing I considered was over 6 dollars. What I ended up getting was a bunch of albums that John Coltrane played on.

I bought Steaming with The Miles Davis Quintet, Miles and Monk at Newport, Miles Davis and John Coltrane Stockholm 1960, Africa/Brass The John Coltrane Quartet, John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman, and an album by Cannonball Adderley's brother Nat called Hummin' all for about 28 bucks.  John Coltrane plays on everyone of those album except Hummin'. I bought My Favorite Things yesterday and I haven't been able to stop thinking about how fucking good John Coltrane is. Also my new apartment is real conducive to playing jazz records. I don't have Ben coming in to my room asking me to play something "nice""anything but this dope smoking music""something you can dance to" etc, etc.

1 comment:

Adam said...

yes, buying music is the most fun thing in the world!